Date:      Tue, 09 Jun 1998 16:11:40 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Gratton <mike@vee.net>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   High weirdness with the pcm driver

Hi people,

Here's some interesting behaviour from Luigi's pcm audio driver. When X
applcations are doing something using I assume is non-trivial, eg:
repainting themselves after switching virtual desktops, Netscape is painting one
of its windows or a new window opens up, the audio playback may do one of a
couple of things:
  - The volume balance between the left and right channels may change.
  - Normal playback may cease, replaced with static.

99 times out of 100 getting X to do something else "non-trivial" (switching
between virtual desktops is the easiest way) will kill the static and normal
playback will return or the balance will again change.

Now, the static will appear annoyingly often using the 28.8k Realaudio /
Realvideo codec (in both native RA3 and Linux RP5 players), infrequently
when using Real's ISDN codecs or amp (with mostly 44.1KHz sampling rate MP3's)
and so far, never using workman (the cd-player).

Anyone know why? Will the latest pcm snapshot (snd980607) fix it?

Here's my system's specs:
  FreeBSD 2.6.6 (current)
  the PCM driver included w/ 2.6.6
  Vibra16 PnP (yeah, I know it sucks)
plenty of cpu cycles and RAM.

Thanks,
Mike.

* Mike Gratton - mike@vee.net
!   "I'd rather be anywhere doing anything"
$ http://www.vee.net/