Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 20:34:38 +0300
From:      Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhcp boot was: Re: diskless workstation

In message <200009211658.JAA00670@mass.osd.bsdi.com>you write:
}> In message <200009210648.XAA02252@mass.osd.bsdi.com>you write:
}>
}> }Mostly I guess I'd really like it to simply save *all* of the DHCP
}> }response in the environment.  Just "dhcp.xxx" where xxx is the parameter
}> }value would probably do it, or we can argue about names for everything if
}> }there aren't established names already.
}> }
}> what's in a name ;-)
}> the dhcp.xxx stuff is easy, the problem is that the DHCP options are not
}> enough, so im trying to look into defining a FBSDclass ala PXEClient, and
}> supplying stuff like usr-ip/usr-path swap-ip/swap-path or whatever.
}
}You don't need those; you can get them out of /etc/fstab.  In particular,
}the whole idea of passing the NFS swap details in at this stage is just
}*totally* bogus.
}
the problem with /etc/fstab it doesn't scale nicely - i have a few hundred
hosts
that are currently running nfsroot linux, and it's not easy to manage. so
having the basic stuff in one file dhcp.conf - even if it has a lousy syntax -
seems to me better than having many little fstabs around, specialy if things
change.

hum, what about the info to mount root? v2/v3, blocksize, timeouts etc?

}
}Another thing that needs fixing is dhclient in the diskless case; if you
}run dhclient it kills the NFS mount for /, so that when it pages some
}more of itself in (or goes to run /bin/sh to run the dhclient-script)
}you're screwed...

well, dhclient is some hack, and probably will be useless, albait the leasing
stuff, but i only looked/used it briefly - (i got it to work with my laptop
running bsdi/os)

im looking at the dhcp.xxxx options, and they are many, what do you think
would be the best way to store them? sysctl come to mind, but it's not dynamic,
ie, only available if it was set by dhcp.

danny