Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:57:11 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org

Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com> types:
> > As a spam prevention measure, FreeBSD *requires* that mail come from a
> > host with an IP address with a valid reverse name setup.
> What counts as valid - just having a PTR?

Yes.

> > You can use dynamic dns with this, so long as the service provider has
> > reverse DNS set up for your IP address.
> I have yet to see an ISP who offers dynamic reverse DNS for their IP
> blocks. For that matter I have yet to see an ISP offer DDNS at all. The
> ISP will own the reverse domain and will map your IP to something like
> Obviously, only your ISP can practically do reverse DDNS.

Both true. ISPs tend to offer static addresses and secondary DNS
instead of a dynamic reverse. But you don't need dynamic reverse, just
the PTR.

> The fact that I can post and my forward and reverse names are different
> seems to imply that maybe just having a reverse entry suffices.

Yes.

> I trust that the data shows that this restriction has sufficient benefit
> to justify excluding users who through no fault of their own don't have a
> PTR.

I didn't make the decision, so I can't answer that. On the other hand,
I can see wanting to have someone take responsibility for mail coming
from an address. That makes more sense than simply disliking the
technology used by that address, which is what ORBS and DUL do.

	<mike