Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2017 08:22:09 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Rolf Dahmen <R.Dahmen@m3connect.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-pf@freebsd.org" <freebsd-pf@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Issue using altq_priq unter FreeBSD 11.1 - help needed

You are missing the filtering commands to tell pf which traffic goes in =
which queue.  Here is an example using bandwidth queues that I used to =
use.  They are all commented out now since I don't need them anymore, =
but kept them around just in case.  This configuration restricted the =
bandwidth for web and mail.  If I remember correctly, I built this from =
"The Book of PF" which I believe is available on the web now.

############ Queueing:  rule-based bandwidth control.
#altq on $ext_if cbq bandwidth 100% queue {normal, web, mail}
#       queue normal bandwidth 99% qlimit 100 cbq(default)
#       queue web bandwidth 100Kb qlimit 100 cbq
#       queue mail bandwidth 250Kb qlimit 100 cbq

############ Filtering:  Last Rule Matches
#pass log proto tcp from any to any port 80 queue web=20
#pass log proto tcp from any to any port 25 queue mail=20

-- Doug

> On 16 October 2017, at 05:55, Rolf Dahmen <R.Dahmen@m3connect.de> =
wrote:
>=20
> Hi all,
>=20
> I=C2=B4m Rolf Dahmen working as CTO for a german Wifi Service =
Provider. We do have a certain issue that we are not able to configure =
QoS to prioritize queues on FreeBSD using pf with altq. My SysOps =
engineers are stuck in getting it done, so I`m looking forward to get a =
resolution or any consults onboarded.
>=20
> We have successfully recompiled the kernel to use pf with altq.
>=20
> We have configured 5 new queues "allowed, specialip, terminals, =
freeunlimited, free" to pass the incoming traffic to prioritize the =
flow. The issue is that always the defined default queue is used but =
never the user queues.
>=20
> I do think that our pf.conf is not complete:
>=20
>       (pf.conf)
> altq on igb0 priq queue {allowed, specialip, terminals, freeunlimited, =
free}
> queue free priority 5 priq(red)
> queue freeunlimited priority 4 priq(red)
> queue terminals priority 3 priq(red)
> queue specialip priority 2 priq(red)
> queue allowed priority 1 priq(default red)
>=20
>=20
> Gru=C3=9F,
>=20
> Rolf Dahmen
> Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
>=20
> [cid:image001.jpg@01D168B7.D9C957D0]
>=20
> T:             +49 (0)241 980 986 68
> M:            +49 (0)151 617 196 23
> Fax:         +49 (0)241 980 986 90
>=20
> Web:        www.m3connect.de<http://www.m3connect.de/>;
> E-Mail:     r.dahmen@m3connect.de<mailto:r.dahmen@m3connect.de>
>=20
> m3connect GmbH | Friedlandstr.18 | 52064 Aachen | DE/Germany | =
Amtsgericht Aachen | HRB 8773 | USt.- ID: DE219 664 658 | =
Gesch=C3=A4ftsf=C3=BChrer/CEO: Emilio Dragas, Markus Schindler