Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:48:44 -0400
From:      Richard Cownie <tich@ma.ikos.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        tich@ma.ikos.com, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP, 4GB RAM, 4x CPU

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Terry Lambert wrote:
> DEC (used to; haven't checked lately) have instruction scheduling
> code up for download on gatekeeper.dec.com.  From memory, running
> it as an assembler preprocessor was pretty trivial.  Of course,
> DEC may have advanced the technology without posting new code, so
> YMMV...

To expose enough parallelism to get a good instruction schedule,
you probably need to do a lot of stuff earlier in the compilation,
e.g. loop unrolling, traversing the expression tree in a different
order for code-generation/register-allocation.  In particular,
once the register allocation is cast in stone you don't have very
much freedom to re-order instructions.  So I doubt that the
assembler pre-processor makes a big difference - if you want
good performance from the Alpha (and why else would you want
an Alpha ?) the DEC compiler is probably the only game in town.

Unless anyone's tried the assembler scheduler and has figures to
suggest otherwise ?

I notice that egcs (soon to be gcc-2.95) has a bunch of new
instruction-scheduling stuff, maybe this will do better than the
old gcc.

Richard Cownie (tich@ma.ikos.com)