Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:08:33 -0800
From:      "Maksim Yevmenkin" <maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com>
To:        "Iain Hibbert" <plunky@rya-online.net>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: obexapp 1.4.5

On 2/22/07, Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
>
> > ah, i see. i was thinking exactly the same, except that i would like
> > to make authentication procedure between local sdp client and local
> > sdp server well defined and mandatory.
>
> Hmm, maybe with an AUTH Request/Response rather than credential check? I'm
> not sure if that would be a lot of work..?

i doubt that we need to go this route. that is just for the local
clients. imo, credentials should be more then enough.

> I had a thought before about adding an option to permit group access to
> the server (eg "-G staff"), and this would not seem so very difficult to
> implement (maybe even multiple groups..)

yes, i had the same idea too. it's trivial to implement - just need to
pass list of user ids and/or group ids that allowed to register
services with sdpd. then check credentials against those lists.

> > right now, sdpd simply uses getsockopt() to pull cached (inside
> > socket) peers credentials (i.e. no messages flow between the client
> > and the server)
>
> Yeah, thats a FreeBSD extension though and so far as I recall, I think
> there was some resistance to including it in NetBSD for whatever reason.

ok

> I didn't get around to the zero length packets, but the following diff
> which moves the ServerRegister up before the setuid() calls does the job
> for NetBSD at least..

looks reasonable. i will take a closer look and commit this and other
patches later.

thanks,
max