Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:15:36 -0500
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Rafal Jaworowski <raj@semihalf.com>
Cc:        Guillaume Ballet <gballet@gmail.com>, Mark Tinguely <tinguely@casselton.net>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, Stanislav Sedov <stas@deglitch.com>
Subject:   Re: Adding members to struct cpu_functions

Rafal Jaworowski wrote:

>>> pmap.c is a very large file that seems to change very often. I fear
>>> having several versions is going to be difficult to maintain. Granted,
>>> I haven't read the whole file line after line. Yet it seems to me its
>>> content can be abstracted to rely on arch-specific functions that
>>> would be found in cpufuncs instead of hardcoded macros. Is there
>>> something fundamentally wrong with enhancing struct cpufunc in order
>>> to let the portmeisters decide what the MMU and caching bits should
>>> look like? This is a blocking issue for me, since it looks like the
>>> omap has some problem with backward compatibility mode. Without fixing
>>> up the TLBs in my initarm function, it doesn't work.
>>>
>>> Speaking of #ifdef hell, why not breaking cpufuncs.c into several
>>> cpufuncs_<myarch>.c? That would be a good way to start that
>>> reorganization Mark has been talking about in his email.
>>>
>> One thing that might be worth looking at while thinking about this is
>> how this is done on PowerPC. We have run-time selectable PMAP modules
>> using KOBJ to handle CPUs with different MMU designs, as well as a
>> platform module scheme, again using KOBJ, to pick the appropriate
>> PMAP for the board as well as determine the physical memory layout
>> and such things. One of the nice things about the approach is that it
>> is easy to subclass if you have a new, marginally different, design,
>> and it avoids #ifdef hell as well as letting you build a GENERIC
>> kernel with support for multiple MMU designs and board types (the
>> last less of a concern on ARM, though).
>
> What always concerned me was the performance cost this imposes, and it
> would be a really useful exercise to measure what is the actual impact
> of KOBJ-tized pmap we have in PowerPC; with an often-called interface
> like pmap it might occur the penalty is not that little..
Using the KOBJ cache means that it is only marginally more expensive
than a standard function pointer call. There's a 9-year-old note in the
commit log for sys/sys/kobj.h that it takes about 30% longer to call a
function that does nothing via KOBJ versus a direct call on a 300 MHz P2
(a 10 ns time difference). Given that and that pmap methods do, in fact,
do things besides get called and immediately return, I suspect non-KOBJ
related execution time will dwarf any time loss from the indirection.
I'll try to repeat the measurement in the next few days, however, since
this is important to know.
-Nathan