Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 00:04:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      Damon Permezel <dap@damon.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        dap@damon.com, nate@mt.sri.com, sbb@freegate.com, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, java-port@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Swing 1.0 and jdk-1.1.5

"Nate Williams sez: "

> > > Hmm, this code is from Damon's patchkit, so I'm unsure why it was made.
> > > Any ideas why you changed this Damon?
> >
> > Absolutely!
> > Without this hack, using fvwm2 window manager, the window would
> > appear, jump off to some random location, and would resize itself
> > to pretty much 0 width and smallish height.
>
> Hmm, I've seen that problem with the SWING stuff, but never with the
> stock JDK's off a SUN box.  (I using fvwm1 on most of the SUN's, and
> olwm on the others.)

If you want a simple demonstration, undo the change, recompile,
run with fvwm, and play "where did my window go".

Oh yes, I forgot one other ingredient: recompile/relink with lesstif.

> > I admit to not having had the slightest idea what the code I disabled
> > was attempting to do.  It changed substantially between 1.1.4 and 1.1.5, and
> > it is clear from the all the debug code left in there that whoever was
> > making the changes was having some difficulties, and what was released
> > probably works OK for MWM, but was totally broken for non-MWM.
>
> Interestingly enough, the stock SUN code seems to work fine for fvwm, so
> I'm not sure why it was changed for FreeBSD.  (As have all previous
> versions.)

Probably the lesstif connexion.

Which brings up a good point: I no longer care about lesstif, so if you find
that motif doesn't want this change, lets undo it.