Date:      Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:08:42 -0700
From:      Peter Losher <plosher-keyword-freebsd.a36e57@plosh.net>
To:        Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to load iwi firmware for wpa_supplicant?

--nextPart1607948.vUKOhIgpgZ

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 12:16 am, Marcin Jessa wrote:

> Why are you loading the module at all and not compile it into your kernel?

Because I want to run a baseline GENERIC kernel and only load those kernel=
=20
modules I need w/o having to recompile the whole kernel to test it. :) =20

It doesn't matter if it's in the kernel anyway (tried that too); at bootup=
=20
after iwi0 is detected, it gets to /etc/network.subr, tries to 'ifconfig up=
'=20
the interface before invoking wpa_supplicant, and it spits back "iwi0: Plea=
se=20
load firmware".  Chicken, meet egg... :(

A workaround I have is to have it load the firmware at the top=20
of /etc/network.subr, before ifconfig is invoked.   That works for my WPA=20
network... to a point, it associates, dhclient gets a lease, and it works=20
well until the next WPA rekey in around five minutes, then it loses signal.

And when I try associating w/ a WEP network, console just spits out a strea=
m=20
of "iwi0: fatal error".  All that's defined in that case is:

network=3D{
		ssid=3D"Homeport" (SSID is broadcasted)
		scan_ssid=3D0
		key_mgmt=3DNONE