Date:      Mon, 09 Feb 2004 17:33:07 +0800
From:      Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com>
To:        Allan Bowhill <abowhill@blarg.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail to a smarthost?

Allan Bowhill wrote:

>On  0, Zhang Weiwu <weiwuzhang@hotmail.com> wrote:
>:Hello. In my LAN the DNS server is my ADSL modem ... small device that
>:cannot do MX type of address lookup. I wish to configure a fax server
>:(FreeBSD 5.2 + Hylafax) in the LAN to send emails to a group of people upon
>:receiving fax. The problem is hylafax fax server can only use sendmail to
>:send fax notification, but sendmail can send out emails only when it knows
>:receipiant's MX ip.
>:
>:The only way I can think of is to let sendmail send mails by using my ISP's
>:smtp server (need login). But I read sendmail(8), I didn't find how to
>:configure sendmail to do this, nor did I find such information on the
>:handbook. I'm not familiar with sendmail config.
>:
>:I hope I'm clear:) What should I do now? Do you have something to suggest
>:me to read? Thank you.
>:
>
>Try reading Simon Barner's tutorial on setting up FreeBSD for workstations.
>
>http://home.leo.org/~barner/freebsd/articles/mailsetup/article.html

Oh this article is really helpful, I'm reading it .. it is really long.
But my situation is pertty typical; I believe many people are like me to
rely on ISP's authenticated smtp server. Must things be so complicated
for those people like me, as  said in that article?
Isn't there a replacement of sendmail to do simple mail transfer by just
asking a smtp server to do everything?

Thank you.