Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:36:19 +0400
From:      Stanislav Sedov <ssedov@mbsd.msk.ru>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, "Andrew Pantyukhin" <infofarmer@FreeBSD.org>, Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>, portmgr@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD.local.dist - share/locale

--Sig_/SHSJAeu_ceQtsS2aUoWZs.

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 00:09:33 +0400
"Andrew Pantyukhin" <infofarmer@FreeBSD.org> mentioned:

> On 8/24/06, Stanislav Sedov <ssedov@mbsd.msk.ru> wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:50:52 +0400

> > > It's a good idea, but we're back at the second question -
> > > what if someone fancies to pkg_delete -xf gnomehier?
> > > There will be no way to get a clean system after that
> > > other than by reinstalling gnomehier and deleting it after
> > > all the ports requiring it.
> >
> > That's not the main problem, and hasn't point at all since we
> > don't support such kind of deinstalls - dependent ports should
> > be deinstalled before dependencies.
>=20
> Oh, I'm quite sure you don't mean it. You're saying that
> every time we upgrade a port we should also reinstall all
> the ports relying on it? Because there's no way we can
> guarantee a port's directory structure stays intact across
> upgrades.

In fact, yes, we should.

>=20
> > The main argument for deinstalling all files/direcotries that
> > port creates follows from FreeBSD ports goal to support different
> > PREFIXES. That is, you can install gettext into /usr/local and
> > smth that depends on gettext into /usr/local/opt. In that case
> > all these share/locale/xxx dirs will be created under /usr/local/opt
> > PREFIX and if this dependent port will not make effort to remove
> > these files/directories on deinstall, they will stay under /usr/local/o=
pt
> > forever, though not listed in ${MTREE_FILE}.
>=20
> Again, you don't really mean it. Try installing any p5 port into
> a non-localbase prefix, and you'll see that lib/perl5 and Co. will
> be left over after deinstall. Even if you suppose that all ports
> respect PREFIX (which many of them don't), it's not a simple
> task to deal with non-mtree left-overs. I would very much like to
> think that your locale effort is a step towards a better world,
> but it really appears to be a step nowhere at all. I hope I'm too
> short-sighted and mistaken.
>=20

Didn't I say the same? ;-) You are not quite right, most of ports
respect PREFIX and remove all directories they creates. I can't really
say why perl/ruby ports don't do this - it may be inaccurate commits, PRs
etc. When creating ocaml framework I've added stubs to automatically
add shared dirs into PLIST. Probably, ruby and perl frameworks require
the same step forward.

> > The only possible solution I can imagine is to add these direcories into
> > mtree file, but since all pacthes are alredy there, there is no reason
> > doing this now. Just port committers should check PLISTS accurately. Th=
is
> > could be achieved by installing port with non standard PREFIX=3Dxxx,
> > deinstalling it and looking for directories/files left.
> >
> > The other possible solution is to implement some technique to automatic=
ally
> > gather directories dependencies created and add them into plist.
>=20
> We only need to care about the directories we created (or might have
> created if there were none) out of mtree. It's an enormous task to fix
> all the ports to do that - and there are quite a few cases when we
> just can't remove an empty dir if its real owner is still installed.

Don't understand what are you trying to clarify...
Again: every port should be PREFIX clean, but that doesn't mean that
we should brought entire our work away and sit fixing all the ports.
Just every new commit/PR should ensure PREFIX safety and some amount
of time should be payed to perl/ruby frameworks by their respective
maintainers (we could fix p5-, ruby- ports all by placing some simple
logic into bsd.ruby.mk and bsd.perl.mk).=20
=20
>=20
> A worthwhile effort would be to ensure PREFIX compliance for all
> ports.

--=20
Stanislav Sedov         MBSD labs, Inc.         <ssedov@mbsd.msk.ru>
=F2=CF=D3=D3=C9=D1, =ED=CF=D3=CB=D7=C1         http://mbsd.msk.ru

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.  -- A. Einstein
PGP fingerprint:  F21E D6CC 5626 9609 6CE2  A385 2BF5 5993 EB26 9581

--Sig_/SHSJAeu_ceQtsS2aUoWZs.

--Sig_/SHSJAeu_ceQtsS2aUoWZs.--