Date:      Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:49:21 -0500
From:      linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon)
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com>
Cc:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [headsup] new article: How To Choose The Version Of FreeBSD That Is Right For You

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 07:12:47AM -0700, Murray Stokely wrote:
> However, to me, the document doesn't seem to be written for a
> newcomer.  After reading the article, it still doesn't answer the
> question, "So does that mean I should install 5.4 or 4.11 if I want a
> really conservative system and I don't need any bells and whistles".
>
> In order to work there, I think there needs to be a section of the
> document that describes the broad features of 4.x, 5.x, 6.x, and 7.x.
> Maybe a feature comparison matrix with summary recommendations.

I was originally going to try to further summarize the long thread
that inspired the article in the first place, in particular to try
to address the "should I install 5.4 or wait for 6.0" decision.  It
was partly why I held off committing for a while to try to decide
what way to go with this (should the feature set be a separate article
that is updated more often?  should more discussion about why we aren't
going to do things like we used to take place here, or in another
article, or ... ?)

Unfortunately the window I have to work on this had already started
to close last week and so I had the choice to go with what I had before
6.0 or not get it in.

My own preference would be for one article that had most of what is
in this one, and which wouldn't change, and another article/web page/
"something" that had an updated feature matrix.

But I'm just out of cycles to implement it myself for the next N weeks.

I won't be offended if what's here gets reworked for that purpose.
The intent was to try to head off a repeat of the original email thread,
and whatever gets us closer to that goal is fine with me.

mcl