Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 22:07:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        jdli@FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw (Jian-Da Li)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VM problem (OK!!)

> >  Addition of page coloring support.  Various levels of coloring are afforded.
> >  The default level works with minimal overhead, but one can also enable
> >  full, efficient use of a 512K cache.  (Parameters can be generated
> >  to support arbitrary cache sizes also.)
>
> 	BTW, I don't understand this, does it mean that I can tune my kernel
> 	to use cache better ? (I got 512k pb-cache, 32MB DRAM, ASUS T2P4 M/B)

Yes!!!  I haven't documented the options yet, their names are probably
not final.

> 	What option to set ?

For 256K cache 'options PQ_MEDIUMCACHE'
For 512K cache 'options PQ_LARGECACHE'
The default is to color for only a 64K cache, which provides only minor
improvements, but is much better than the random allocations that we
(and almost every other free OS) had previously done.

You'll see only small improvments on normal workloads, but it does
work very well at what it does :-).

John