Date:      Wed, 08 Mar 1995 16:38:42 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Andy Whitcroft <awhitcro@paris.heisys.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot boot 2.1 Dev from floppy's

>In an effort to get started on FBSD, I have been trying to install the
>950210-SNAP. But, my computer ( described below ) will NOT get past the
>the probes just prior to the le0 probe ( I forget exactly which probe,
>but I do know that it is the probes just before the le0 probe ).
>
>For clarity, when I say that it will not get past the le0 probe, I mean
>that the machine hangs infinitely at that point, I must cycle the
>power to regain control of the machine. :-(
>
>Can anyone provide me with some insight about this, or should I just
>wait for the offical release of 2.1 before installing?
>
>P.S. I have FBSD 2.0 installed, I am just trying to get current,
>especailly for the PPP capabilities I have heard about in 2.1.
>
>Machine Description: AMD 386DX-40, AMI BIOS, w/ 8Mb Mem, ~200Mb HD,
>Std IDE HD controller, 3.5in 1.44Mb floppy, w/1P & 1S intgreated into HD
>controller.

   I think the hang is caused by a change Bruce made to the FPU initialization
sequence; I think it hangs some 386 machines during the probe (those without
387's if I recall).
   We really had planned to do a snapshot last weekend, but it wasn't possible.
There were (and still are) too many serious bugs to warrant another snapshot.
I'm hoping we'll have many of these worked out in the next 10-14 days...and
we'll do a snapshot then.

-DG