Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 18:53:57 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD SCSI list)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Subject:   Re: Buslogic controller, Sync mode & a SCSI disk error

As Joe Greco wrote:

> > What's wrong with scsiformat(8)?

> 2) Because generally I am more interested in a utility to do verification
>    and bad block remapping.

The FORMAT UNIT command does this, inside the drive.  At least, that's
my experience.  One of my old (now retired due to lack of space)
Seacrate drives experienced excess bad sectors once, so i backed up,
reformatted, and restored the filesystems.  It never got any reported
bad block again, and it went on for more than a year afterwards until
i had to replace it by a larger one recently.

> Any ideas on a verification/bad block remapper utility?  Would it be
> hard to do?

On-the-fly verification (non-desctructive, as Rod suggested) is much
harder to do.  There's no SCSI command for it, you gotta visit each
block on the drive, and remap it manually.

The existing scsiformat(8) was just Peter D's replacement for the old
defunct 4.4BSD scsiformat code, with no more functionality added (and
the ugly user interface inherited ;).

--
cheers, J"org