Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 2002 19:46:08 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

"Neal E. Westfall" wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Dave Hayes wrote:
> > > It's not the environment that votes, it's the creature that dies.
> > > The environment is fairly static in this case.
> >
> > The environment chooses the creatures which survive.
>
> Why do you insist on reifying nature?  Are you a pantheist?

No.  Recognizing that the environment acts upon an individual
doesn't take a pantheist (I guess it also puts the nail in the
coffin of your idea that I am a Monoist... ;^)).

> > My personal preference it to analyze the problem, determine
> > the class of problems it represents (if non-unique), and then
> > solve for the set of problems the space represented by the
> > class, do it once, and never have to look back.  I hate having
> > to solve the same problem more than once: it's an incredible
> > waste of my time.
>
> Have you solved the problem of induction yet?
> 8-)

If I had, then you are probably having this conversation with a
computer program.  8-).

> Consider this hypothesis:
>
> "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all
> ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the
> truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about
> God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them.
> For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes,
> His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen,
> being understood through what has been made, so that they are
> without excuse.  For even though they knew God, they did not
> honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in
> their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened."
> (Romans 1:18-21)

It's always easy to argue in third person perfect, because you
never have to take the blame for the ideas, and there's never
an appeal to a contradictory witness to worry about.  8-).

> > Not a dodge.  My Uncle-by-marriage's sister is the person who
> > dispenses Charles Manson's medication.  Some people yanked out
> > out their interface cables before the programming was complete.
>
> Can't go there, remember?  There is no Programmer, hence no
> programming.
> 8-)

That's "Programmer", not "programmer".  8-).

-- Terry