Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:40:10 -0500
From:      "Martin MacT" <martinm@visualedge.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Newbies" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>, "Ed Donnelly" <edonnelly@eircom.ie>
Subject:   Re: basic questions

netscape should be on your CDs....

    put CD#1 in your CDROM and run /stand/sysisntall.

    go to Configuration then Packages...

    Find it in under WWW.

    You also need to install linux compatibility to install
netscape_4.7_linux.... If you don't want to that, use one of the other
CDs... (#3?) to find the FreeBSD version (in which case you have to install
FreeBSD2.2 compatibility since it is an a.out binary) or use Version 3 of
netscape and you won't need any special compatibility.

    you can also just find the appropriate .tgz file and run pkg_add on it.

    As for configuring PPP, if you have KDE, why not just use Kppp to do
your configuration?  Your modem is likely com2 and if not com1 if it is
internal (if you have a serial mouse it is almost defintely com2)... Kppp
refers to these as something like ttys0 & ttys1 or something (I have no
idea, but ???0 is com1, ???1 is com2).  You can also make things easier (I
think) if you make a symlink from /dev/modem to the appropriate /dev entry.

    I could, of course, be wrong.