Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 10:56:34 +0100
From:      Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
To:        dan@langille.org
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using mysql over ssh

Dan Langille wrote:

> > I want to access a mysql database remotely.  I've had success with
> > the following approach:
> >
> >  ssh user@mydomain.org /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -uuserid
> >            -ppassword dbname < mysql.sql
>
> There is nothing like finding the answer shortly after posting a question.
>
> I found the solution at:
>
> http://www.mysql.com/php/manual.php3?section=Password_security
>
> You create ~/.my.cnf and add this:
>
> [client]
> password=your_pass
>
> Then you don't need to specify the password on the command line as
> shown above.
>
> I'd still like feedback about my points 1 and 2 in my original post.

Open two terminal windows...

In window one, do:

  ssh -L 3306:localhost:3306 user@mydomain.org

In window two, do:

  mysql -h localhost -u userid -p dbname < mysql.sql

the mysql client will tunnel it's connection to the remote server, and
you will be prompted locally for the password (if you're using an up to
date copy of mysql). You can also use this method for an interactive
session...

You will need to have the remote server up to use MYSQL_TCP_PORT instead
of the default MYSQL_UNIX_PORT, and it's a good idea to bind it to
loopback to that only local or tunneled clients can connect.

cheers,
Adam
--
Adam Laurie                   Tel: +44 (181) 742 0755
A.L. Digital Ltd.             Fax: +44 (181) 742 5995