Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2018 17:32:50 -0600
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        JD <jd1008@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Response to Meltdown and Spectre

On 01/31/18 19:20, JD wrote:

> On 01/31/2018 02:01 PM, Robert Huff wrote:
>> Zahrir, Abderrahmane writes:
>>
>>>   I understand that you have not been notified early enough about
>>>   the Meltdown and spectre security flow.
>>>
>>>   However do we have a rough estimate (something like an
>>>   approximate month) of when a patch will be available for the
>>>   latest version 11.1 and possibly 11.0?
>>     Given that - at this writing - _Intel_ doesn't fully understand
>> how to fix this ....
>>

>>                 Respectfully,
>>

>>                     Robert Huff
> I think this blunder by MS-Intel Duopoly could be the poison pill that
> will kill both.

Quite unlikely. MS existence is backed up by customers, 90% of whom are
computer ignorant, which solidifies MS existence. Intel has substantial
share of CPU market, probably about 85% of all sold amd64 architecture
are Intel ones. Which in itself makes it unlikely Intel to disappear, or
even loose noticeable share of market. They are not monopoly strictly
speaking, but almost such. I myself am quite neutral to either of them.
On this subject what my friend likes to say about operating systems is
quite applicable: All systems suck... and thanks to that I got my job ;-)

Valeri