Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 1995 14:53:08 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@sunny.wup.de>
To:        larry@seminole.iag.net
Cc:        jhk@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI problems with FreeBSD 2.0.5 using AHA 2940 and Quantum Grand Prix

----------

Subject: Re: SCSI errors 2.0.5 FreeBSD "sd0 timed out"
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.scsi,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc

In article <42o73m$6vr@news.iag.net> you wrote:
: I have an Opti based Pentium 100 Mhz motherboard with 32
: megs of RAM.  The PCI controller is a 2940 and the hard
: drive is a Quantum XP series 2 gig drive.  The OS is Free
: BSD 2.0.5.

: With heavy DiskIO I see:

: ahc0: target 0, lun 0, (sd0) timed out

This happens to me, too, sometimes.

: on the console.  all diskIO is stopped, and the LED on
: the SCSI host adapter and hard drive are on solid

Yes !

: this happens with heavy disk IO with the configuration
: supporting 10 mhz transfers rates and sync transfers
: enabled

My scenario: Asus P/I 55TP4XE board, P90, 256k synchr. cache, AHA 2940
BIOS V1.16, Toshiba 3601 CD-Rom, Quantum Grand Prix 4GB 7200U/min.

Parity enabled on all devices, as well as 10MB synchr.

My problems started with Termination pronlems. Here how I solved
it, but problems remain ...

The system locked up more frequently under FreeBSD and Linux, when I had
the following order on the scsi bus:

        2940-----------Hd-------------CD-Rom
Termin.  X                              X

Putting the harddisk onto the end of the scsi bus I have much
less problems:

        2940-----------CD-------------HD
Termin.  X                             X

Before that I tried nearly every combination of SCSI - Termination ;-)

But still somethimes seems to break ...

I had 4 OS on the Harddisk

        Slice 1 primary DOS - 250 MB DOS
        Slice 2 other       - 3   GB FreeBSD
        Slice 3 Ext. Part   - 500 MB Win NT 351 AS
        Slice 4    "        - 400 MB Linux Slackware 2.3 - accessable via boot disk

The FreeBSD bootmanager is _the_ boot manager on my system.
So I have to take care to use this order during installation:

DOS, FreeBSD partitioning, Windows NT, Linux, FreeBSD installation.

When I had the disk in the middle of the scsi bus, then the Linux distrib
with 1.2.12 kernel fucked up after installing about 75% of the packages.
Now it works nearly flawlessly.

But then after a few days again some drawbacks ...
The Extended partition couldn't be accessed any more. The first warnings
about a bad extended partition I received during the FreeBSD startup.

After that I installed everything new ... But I left out Linux.
So I have now DOS,NT,FreeBSD, to speed up installing everything again...

But working for a while I get strange results again....
Under FreeBSD I noticed in /usr 1 dir and one file with control characters.

When trying to boot WinNT I can't boot NT from one day to another, because
ntdetect was screwed up ... I should install this file new ...

Is the hardware so weak, that it can't drive 10MB/sec synchronously without
loosing data ????? Or is it due to driver problems ????

The only OS, where I have no crashes in the moment is DOS/Windows 3.11.

BTW: Everything is terminated properly, and I enabled Parity checking
on all devices !!

Hope, that -stable will help me out of this situation, if it should be
a driver problem.

BTW: I made a copy for thr freebsd mailinglists ... Since I'm not reading
     these lists currently, please write a cc: to my e-mail
     address, too

Best regards

	Andreas ///

--
 andreas@wup.de        /\/\___ Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
Andreas Klemm     ___/\/\/        - Support Unix -