Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 13:25:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        john@starfire.mn.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: network IO profiling

> Are there tools to help gauge system network IO performance?  iostat,
> bonnie, and such don't seem to do any network stuff...
>
> Please respond directly, as I do not get this list...

All of the ones that I am aware of, like ttcp (the test program)
tend to neglect latency.  The NFS tests, like NFSBench, have the
same drawbacks.

To get latency measures, you need to install a request/response
server of some kind (like Samba) and run something like "LANPerf"
or Ziff-Davis' "WinBench" series against it over the wire.

What is ultimately useful depends on what you are testing for (as
opposed to what you think you are testing for).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.