Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:51:39 -0600
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@theworld.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree 4.3.0 / Xft font problems

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 10:27:44AM -0500, Jason Andresen wrote:
> Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
> >
> >"Regular" xchat 1.8.11 and gaim 0.59.9 look fine.
> >Mozilla built without Xft (-DWITHOUT_XFT) looks ok (menu bar
> >looks good, as with other apps) but not great (displayed
> >text looks "ok" but not very good).
>
> Mozilla uses whatever you have configured in the preferences panel as
> the font for the menubar IIRC.  Try changing your font from serif to
> sans-serif.
>
> Additionally, you're probably having trouble with the antialiased small
> text.  You might want to try creating a /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts/local.conf
> file with the following lines:
>
> <!-- Fontconfig local overrides -->
>
> <match target="pattern">
>         <test qual="any" name="size" compare="less_eq">
>                 <double>12</double>
>         </test>
>         <edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
>                 <bool>false</bool>
>         </edit>
> </match>
>
> And see if that's any easier on your eyes.

This didn't make any difference for me. My menu fonts are still way too
small, to the point of being unreadable. Note that I tried putting this
in both the local.conf file mentioned above as well as a ~/.fonts.conf
file.

This is on a 4-stable system from just over a month ago running XFree86
4.2.0.

What else am I missing?

Thanks,
Bob

--
Bob Willcox            We seem to have forgotten the simple truth that
bob@vieo.com           reason is never perfect. Only non-sense attains