Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2006 23:01:39 -0500
From:      Patrick Reich <dminor@houston.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Monitor "Blinking" on and off during 6.1 install on Ultra 60

Hi,

I have an ultra 60 with dual 450Mhz UltraSparc processors
and a creator3d video card.  The video card has a 13w3
adapter connected to a gateway FPD1530 15" flat panel
monitor.  When I boot from the 6.1-RELEASE install CD,
the monitor starts "blinking" on and off which makes
the install impossible (I'm 40 years old and my eyes
don't work that well anymore :)  I also tried the most
recent Sparc64 snapshot with the same result.

This monitor is capable of 1024x768 at 75kHz and I have
the output-device environment variable in OBP set to
screen:r1024x768x75.  I've tried a few different
iterations of this setting but all I can do is
slow the blinking down - it never completely stops.

I tried connecting a Samsung SyncMaster 712N 17" flat
panel capable of 1280x1024 at 75kHz.  This monitor
does NOT blink on and off during install but unfortunately
this monitor belongs elsewhere.  The blinking is also
present when I boot the system off the hard disks
with the 15" monitor reconnected again.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  I checked mailing
lists and bug reports but I'm not finding anything.  Is
there an argument I can pass in to OBP to remedy this?
I'm fairly positive the monitor is not at fault; OpenBSD,
NetBSD and Solaris behave fine but I'd prefer to run
FreeBSD on this machine.

Thank you for reading,
Pat