Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 19:50:10 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH Must Die

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 07:23:20AM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> ssh works just fine for me in 4.3.  You must be doing something
> wrong.
>
> - Jordan
>
> From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
> Subject: SSH Must Die
> Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 04:24:29 -0700
>
> > This whole ssh B.S. is very annoying.
> >
> > After an upgrade from 4.2 to 4.3 using a CDROM boot plus
> > upgrade menu option, SSH stops working, for no good reason
> > (_any_ reason is no good).
> >
> > It complains about RSA not being in libcrypto, even though
> > "nm" shows that that claim is full of crap.
> >
> > Yes, I have /dev/random, and yes, I have it in my kernel,
> > even though it makes my boots slow as hell.
> >
> > How do I update the whole thing, so that the problem goes
> > away?
> >
> > Alternately, can we rip it bodily out of FreeBSD, and
> > flush it down the toilet?

Exactly how is rpping it out of FreeBSD supposed to make ssh work?

I think I had similar problems at some point between 4.2-R and 4.3-R.
At some (fairly late IIRC) point inbetween the version numbers of some of
the crypto libraries was increased. After a buildworld I had both
libXXXX.so.1 and libXXXX.so.2 installed in /usr/lib.  I think
deleting/moving one of them (the .so.1 one IIRC) and then doing a new
build/installworld with 'COMPAT4X=yes' in /etc/make.conf made things work
correctly.
I am afraid I don't remember the details exactly but it might be a
starting point.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson