Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 1996 08:58:43 +1000
From:      Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        risner@stdio.com
Cc:        freebsd-SCSI@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk problems

> I have having several problems with 2.2-SNAP 3-3 *AND* 2.1-RELEASE.
>
> 8 meg, 486-sx-25 ASUS VL/I-486SV2GX4, SMC ethernet
>
> SCSI = FDC 850 8bit "seagate"
> 1 conner 100 meg (Digital RZ23 SCSI)
> 1 seagate 235 meg ST1239N
> 1 Emulex ESDI - SCSI with one ESDI disk formatted
>

> I got it installed on the Seagate, but when adding the other disks I noticed
> that the FDC/Seagate controller boots from ID 6 down.  FreeBSD assigns disks
> from ID 0 and up, so it can't mount the root with more than one disk installed.
>
> I placed the Emulex on board and booted fine after It was installed on the
> Seagate.  I used "scsiformat -w sd1" to format the ESDI/SCSI disk.
> Then reboot to find it not booting because the New ESDI is BIOS booted
> and it is clean.  I took it off and moved the seagate disk to ID 6.
>
> But NOW that I have it installed I get "sea: abritration timeout" a lot
> when I add either the Conner or Emulex to the board.

The seagate driver does not like anything to be at address 6 when it is
running on a future domain controller. I've successfully run things from ID 0.
I must admit that I've never had the chance to test it's handling of LUNs, and
the controller that I used to have has passed out of my hands. I would advise
getting hold of an old Adaptec 1542 or Buslogic controller (or failing that,
one of the supported VLB controllers). The FD maxes out at 1Mb/s, and uses
100% of any CPU at that data transfer rate.

	Stephen

--

        I do not speak for the Worker's Compensation Board of Queensland -
                     They don't pay me enough for that!