Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 1996 22:25:45 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdscsi@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: striping/mirroring?

> I'm lost. How can the mirror be slower than the drive that it is mirroring
> unless it is a "read mostly" situation and you are guaranteed no write
> bursts?

hmm?

> >seems to me answer is no.
> I think that the answer is "yes". You can you elaborate? Describe the
> configuration that you have in mind.

ack...

i admit first i had minor thinking error when i was planning the system
at the first time...

now, what i want to do is this:

strip with few drives, so that i can get speed, and then mirror it all
to one "safe" disk, so that i wont lost all of my data if the striping
crashes...

but now that i think of it, i will lose all the speed i would gain by
using ccd if i'd have to "wait" until it's all being written to a one drive...

so i would love to hear suggestions how to get more speed than just mounting
my system thru several drives, but still having some "safety" left...

actually, so that i wont waste any more of anyone's time, i think i can
settle down if i get an opinion/numbers how much slower the disks will
perform if i use four 2gig drives (two channel adapter used) compared if
i would use them ccded?

the server will be www/ftp machine which should be as fast as possible,
still being safe what comes to loss of data in crashes...

i was planning to run 2.1.5 on it. or should i use -current?

(sent to freebsd-isp too since i think this is more isp related)

mickey
--
   mika@aeon.net     mika ruohotie       net/sys admin