Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:30:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill <ankzt@maine.60north.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.2 Stable & ARP changes.

 Hi there, I run a server with two eathernet interfaces.
One of the interfaces serves our unregistered networks - 192.168/16 and
the other is connected to our public ip space 198.146.203/24. The router
(cisco 2600) has the IP of 198.146.203.5, the default route of the BSD box
in question. Whats happening is I will loose connectivity to that (the
cisco's) ip address, however, it still shows up in my routing table with a
hardware address as well as the arp table with the correct MAC address.
Pre 3.2 stable (3.1 stable) this would happen but I would loose all
reference to the address' in both the routing & arp table, this was fixed
by arp -s ipaddr macaddr PUB. What Ive noticed now is that when i try to
permenantly publish the ip & mac of the routers ethernet interface, arp -a
doesnt show it as (permenant published) but as [eathernet].

 The temporary fix for this siduation has been just to re arp -S ipaddr
macaddr, but it continues to sporatically loose connectivity. Another
peice to this puzzle is that both eathernet interfaces are plugged into
the same hub, this causes me to continually recieve console messages
stating kernel ipaddr is on ed1 but got reply from macaddr on ed2. I
really dont think that the kernel messages matter but it would be nice to
get rid of them. The ARP issue is big though, I have the crontab entry
from HE!! to re arp the routers ethernet interface every 5 mins.
thanks for any & all help.