Date:      Fri, 9 May 1997 08:02:29 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, announce@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 SNAPshots on ftp.freebsd.org

> That way people can just grab the snap-o-the-day and see what they
> think of it.  If one looks especially functional, we can also copy it
> to ftp.freebsd.org in much the same way we do with the RELENG 2.2
> stuff but it will *not* be the most definitive version, that will
> remain on the SNAP-server.
>
> Thoughts?  Anyone care to donate some CPU time, disk space and network
> connectivity to host this service?  Basically, it's gotta be at least
> a mid-speed Pentium Pro or a fast Pentium (200Mhz), have at least
> 800MB of disk storage to spare and be T1 or better connected to the
> net.  Anything less and really, honestly, you don't want to go
> there. ;-)

I was actually planning to do this, mainly for internal testing.  I'm
not certain I can donate the bandwidth for a lot of downloads - the
disk is already there, as is some CPU (P166, which _might_ be enough -
make world takes about 3.5 hours).  I could make more CPU available by
switching over my own box (PPro 200), but I would like to keep that
for myself :-)

I'll see how the setup works, and if the load on the machine for
creating the releases turn out to be satisfactory, attempt to make it
available to the wider community on a trial basis.  If load for
downloads turn out to be too much, I'll try to find somewhere else to
make it available for ftp (paying for hosting if necessary.)

Anybody else going to do the experiment?

Eivind.