Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 21:33:55 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Anatoliy Dmytriyev <tolid@plab.ku.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UFS_DIRHASH - your opinion

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 09:32:10PM +0200, Anatoliy Dmytriyev wrote:
> I installed on my home box 4.4-RELEASE and found in the LINT new option
> UFS_DIRHASH. What do you think about this?

Well, here we are using the code on out news server, cvsup server
and NFS server without any problems. Mind you, Ian Dowse who wrote
the dirhash code works here, so we may be biased ;-)

> I know this is experimental code but have you experience with
> UFS_DIRHASH? And have I reasons include this option in my kernel?

If you have directories which contains lots of files which are
accessed repeatedly then it may be a win for you.

	David.