Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 00:40:20 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@jcdurham.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Mark Miller <joup@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: java in 4.5?

On Thursday 24 January 2002 01:19 pm, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 11:39:02PM -0800, Mark Miller wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I saw the newsflash about having a licensed version of a JDK/JRE in
> > version 4.5.  I (unwittingly, don't ask) installed 4.5-RC today, but
> > I don't see anything relating to java.  Does anybody know how this is
> > going to work?  Which version will it be?  1.1.8, or 1.3.1?  Sorry if
> > I'm missing something obvious, but I've really scoured the web for
> > news on this matter and I've come up quite dry.
>
> Sun is dragging its heels in doing whatever it is they need to do to
> get the FreeBSD port to jump through the Java compliance test hoops.
> Until that is done we can't include it.  Probably that means it won't
> end up being in 4.5 :-(

I have to admit to being a bit confused about Java on FreeBSD also.
Konqueror, the browser in KDE, comes with no java support. You point it
to the java executeable manually. I've tried 1.1.8 and 1.3.1 JDK's, but
both of them perform poorly on the java test sites. A lot of apps don't
run at all.

Are these incomplete JDK's? You sound like you are up on this. As was
mentioned, there doesn't seem to be much on the web, etc about this.

-Jim