Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2007 16:38:04 -0800
From:      "Marc D. Brooks" <marc@paralan.com>
To:        Baurzhan Ismagulov <ibr@radix50.net>
Cc:        aic7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940UW with Fujitsu MAN3184M

Hello Baurzhan,

I think the following are the two major questions you are asking:

1. Why is my setup running at Fast instead of Ultra?

 From the reading you supplied, It shows the initial speed to be 40
Megabytes (20 megatransfers of a wide bus), which is Ultra speed. It
then in the next two lines shows 20 Megabytes (10 megatransfers of a
wide bus), which is Fast speed. This looks to have happened about the
time that the Adaptec controller would have completed its Domain
Validation. During Domain Validation, the Adaptec controller tries
communications at various speeds to determine if the initial negotiated
speed is stable for use, or if the bus has to go slower due to unstable
communications while testing at the negotiated speed. Domain Validation
was developed due to the problems the industry was having implementing
stable Single Ended SCSI based systems that worked at Ultra speed.

Most likely, your system is running at fast instead of Ultra because
during Domain Validation the SCSI bus communications tested out that it
would not be stable running at Ultra, so the Adaptec controller
negotiated communications down to Fast. (This is if its not due to an
OEM configuration built into that particular HBA you are using.) There
are a lot of factors that can cause this to happen: Cables, Terminators,
and Drives and/or SCA adapters that were made for LVD, which can switch
down to Single Ended, but the REQ/ACK timing may be less than optimal
when running Single Ended, etc... Basically, if you want to try
different cables, terminators, or one or more of the major components to
find the problem, this can be done. OEMs spent many hours working on
combinations of hardware configurations to standardize on that would be
consistently stable at Ultra Speed with Single Ended devices. The SCSI
Standards Committee shortened the cable lengths, Recommended using
Domain Validation (to go slower if it doesn't seem stable during startup
at Ultra) and specified that Active Single Ended Terminations should be
used at Ultra Speed in order to pass Single Ended SCSI communications at
Ultra Speed. Add in the factor that SCSI went LVD for faster speeds than
Ultra, which use different (LVD) signal transceivers than Single Ended,
with Multimode versions of those transceivers able to switch down to
Single Ended but optimized for LVD, and the possibility of having a
system switching down to Fast for stable communications increases. What
I am trying to say is that with Single Ended, you can run into exactly
the problem you have experienced going at Ultra, and you may have to try
changing out some or all of the components of your setup to get it going
at Ultra with Single Ended.

2. What can I do to make my system run faster?

I would recommend that since all of the hardware (except for the
controller) is LVD, capable of running at Ultra160 (which is stable) to
change the 2940 controller out for an Ultra160 capable LVD controller.
You will definitely get a faster speed than the SCSI Fast you are
currently experiencing, or the Ultra you ar trying to get, and not have
the struggles in trying to find what part(s) in your current
configuration are causing the system to run slower than Ultra.

I'm sorry I cannot supply a better answer which would not have the cost
of lots of time trying different components, or the cost of a different
controller, but when mixing and matching Single Ended SCSI hardware at
Ultra speeds, you can get a string of 1000 good setups, then hit on a
string of 100 problematical ones.

Best Regards,
Marc

Single configurations for systems