Date:      Sun, 06 Dec 1998 21:26:55 -0500
From:      Arashi <smohr1@maine.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Questions: FreeBSD

Recently, I heard of this OS from a friend.  He raved about it.  I
decided to give it a try.  Unfortunately, I know close to zero about
UNIX (the basic commands, how it works, etc - I know none of this!).
However, I am trying to learn.  So my question is this:  which UNIX is
FreeBSD compatible with?  I am trying to download Netscape for UNIX and
have no idea which version to download.  And another problem is getting
my cable modem working.........  I subscribe to a cable Internet service
from Time Warner Cable of Maine.  I have called them up and they said
that they ight be able to dig up a UNIX client for me, but is this all I
need?  Can I just run the script or binary executable or do I need to
configure anything else?  Keep in mind, I a a DOS/Win95 person so I may
use terminology that is exclusive to DOS-based systems, so forgive me if
I a not using the correct terms.  I also understand that UNIX is not for
those without motivation to learn a new operating system.  Believe me,
after the horrors of Win95, I am able and willing.........

BTW, as a closing note, is it possible to use my HP CD-writer Plus 8100i
under BSD to burn CDs?  I would like to learn how to do this......  And
to ask a real question of the stereotypical newbie:  what is the command
to change drives?  and how do I get the OS to display the path before
the command prompt?  It is kind of confusing not being able to tell what
directory you are in after you cd 5X-6X........   Can I read
DOS-formatted media easily with the above command?

I have bought your software from Walnut Creek CDROM so I need answers to
these questions.  But there is no hurry........ they are back ordered
about 2 weeks so I will not be receiving my CDs for a while - probably
not until after Christmas.

Thank you for your time.  For now, I will live with the atrocities of
Windows 95 (or until I can get FreeBSD installed with ALL ports and
XWindows, man pages, etc.  As of now, I just have the OS binaries.  No
XWindows, no nothing except the CLI.  And keep in mind that I know an
extremely minimal amount about UNIX so it is fairly hard for me to
learn.  However, I have a book which seems promising and maybe by the
middle of next year I may have half the commands down :-).

cya