Date:      Wed, 08 Jan 1997 12:55:28 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        "F.P.C.F" <june@asin.adn.edu.ph>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: netscape colors

F.P.C.F wrote:

> I have recently installed X-Windows using VGA-16 as the X server. Then, I
> installed netscape. I tried visiting a site with the url below,
>
>         http://www.infi.net/wwwimages/colorindex2.html
>
> I notice that I do not see the appropriate, corresponding colors but
> instead see different shades and textures from white to black. I have a
> colored monitor BTW. In other words, I do not see the colors when I am
> supposed to see one.
>
> What is wrong?

You're using an X server that supports just 16 colors. Netscape probably
expect a different type of visual than that server supports (I don't
know for sure - I never tried it, and obviously don't have access to the
source...). In general, most modern X programs assume a visual of either
256 table entries, or a high-color visual (either true color or pseudo
color, if I remember the X names for those correctly). The solution will
thus be to install a different X server. What display card are you
using?

> Thankx.
>
> --
> june