Date:      Sat, 07 Jul 2001 08:23:29 -0600
From:      Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Eric, you were right!

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Thursday,  5 July 2001 at 14:03:24 -0600, Don Wilde wrote:
> > Looks like Eric Wayte was right in his premonition about Wind River
> > screwing us over.  Their freebsdmall website is now a link to something
> > called BSD Central, and their phone box says 'Welcome to Linux
> > Central'.... and of course nobody's in in Customer Service.
>
> I've heard a number of rumblings about Wind River not living up to
> their promises.  I don't know how accurate they are, but the idea that
> they would dump us in favour of Linux is pretty much the most unlikely
> one I can think of.

Agreed, but to dump our CDs into their hands and funnel FreeBSDmall
visitors there is pretty cheap.

> > I ordered a BSD Desktop direct from freebsdmall.com -- at full list
> > -- because their (old) site claimed it would come with 4.3
> > CDs. Guess who's got another obsolete set of 4.1 CDs sitting on his
> > hands? :-(
>
> That's incompetence.

Isn't it though? Wind River survives in the embedded world because their
software is so pricey the government thinks it must be worth something,
and therefore we Americans have the privilege of paying for it with our
taxes.
--
Don Wilde           http://www.Silver-Lynx.com
Silver Lynx   Embedded Microsystems Architects