Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:08:56 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GJournal (hopefully) final patches.

On 08/08/06 14:52, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm pleased to announce hopefully the final gjournal patches.
[..snip..]
> To create journaled UFS file system on ad0s1d partition:
>
> 	# gjournal load
> 	# gjournal label ad0s1d
> 	# newfs -J /dev/ad0s1d.journal
> 	# mount -o noatime,async /dev/ad0s1d.journal /mnt
>
> On reboot 'fsck_ffs -p /dev/ad0s1d.journal' will perform fast check. One
> can still run regular check by not giving the -p option.

I have a 10TB filesystem I created as above, and recently a crash caused
it to now complain about the filesystem being dirty.  When I do an fsck
-p, here's what I get:

# fsck -p /dev/label/vol10
/dev/label/vol10: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY, CANNOT RUN FAST FSCK

/dev/label/vol10: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

# geom journal list
Geom name: gjournal 647039251
ID: 647039251
Providers:
1. Name: da10.journal
    Mediasize: 10494183210496 (9.5T)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r0w0e0
Consumers:
1. Name: da9
    Mediasize: 7996964864 (7.4G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r1w1e1
    Jend: 7996964352
    Jstart: 0
    Role: Journal
2. Name: da10
    Mediasize: 10494183211008 (9.5T)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r1w1e1
    Role: Data

GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal 647039251: da9 contains journal.
GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal 647039251: da10 contains data.
GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal da10 consistent.
GEOM_JOURNAL: BIO_FLUSH supported by da9.
GEOM_JOURNAL: BIO_FLUSH supported by da10.
GEOM_LABEL: Label for provider da10.journal is label/vol10.

# tunefs -p /dev/label/vol10
tunefs: ACLs: (-a)                                         disabled
tunefs: MAC multilabel: (-l)                               disabled
tunefs: soft updates: (-n)                                 enabled
tunefs: gjournal: (-J)                                     enabled
tunefs: maximum blocks per file in a cylinder group: (-e)  2048
tunefs: average file size: (-f)                            16384
tunefs: average number of files in a directory: (-s)       64
tunefs: minimum percentage of free space: (-m)             8%
tunefs: optimization preference: (-o)                      time
tunefs: volume label: (-L)