Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 23:47:16 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>, dg@root.com, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

On Thu, Dec 04, 1997 at 12:10:47PM -0700, Steve Passe wrote:
> [SNIP]
> > 	3.0 will be one _hell_ of a milestone.
>
> Very well stated.  My "best wild guess" about SMP is that there is at least
> 6-9 person-months of work (probably more) before we meet David's benchmark:
>
> >There are two things
> >that need to be done: locks need to be pushed down so that we have at
> >least per-subsystem locking (networking, filesystems, VM system, etc),
> >and we need to rewrite the scheduler for process affinity.
>
> I am in agreement with this target, but given the current level of work,
> this will occur about 2-3 years from now!  We need more people actually
> willing to do some coding and/or testing.

Okay, I'm going to bite the bullet and put off my dream of owning an
alpha and buy a dual processor machine to help out in the testing! :-)
I'm about as capable as a slinky when it comes to coding anything
as involved as the FreeBSD SMP kernel, but I can test the hell out of
it and hopefully be useful in that regard.. I also need to move to
-CURRENT soon to get more up to date info into the book I'm
writing.. so it was inevitable..  ;-)

I don't know if anybody else is like me, but just thinking about the
3.0 release gets me all excited! SMP, ELF, IDE bus mastering, and
so on and so on... It's certainly true that SMP has slowed down the
release schedule of 3.0, with a super positive effect that FreeBSD
3.0 will be one rockin' step forward for FreeBSD! I'm really looking
forward to it!!  8-)

> Although somewhat stale, there are many useful links to whitepapers
> on SMP in:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html

Cool. DOwnloading some papers to read over the holiday vacation
right now!

-Mark

> --
> Steve Passe	| powered by
> smp@csn.net	|            Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU