Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 1996 19:02:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
Cc:        Ken Lam <klam@awod.com>, FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, FREEBSD-SCSI-L <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Streamlogic RAIDION drive arrays

On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Brian Tao wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Ken Lam wrote:
> >
> > I didn't get a chance to test it under FreeBSD.  Fairly fast, but
> > other than the RAID 5 aspect, why not use CCD?
>
>     Well, ccd is a start, and I may consider it more seriously if the
> costs of hardware RAID prove to be too high (we're looking at 5 or 6
> 6-drive units to start).  ccd is free, but it doesn't give you
> hot-swappable drives, automatic data rebuild on a spare drive
> and a battery-powered write back cache.
>
>     I'm going to stick with hardware RAID on the news servers, but ccd
> should do just fine on our main mail server.  Raw capacity is what I'm
> aiming for there, not big TPS numbers or huge disk throughput.

This seems somewhat odd to me.  I thought you'd expend the additional cost
of RAID where you really need reliability.  If you lose news (assuming
this doesn't happen very often) you just reload from another server,
right?  If you lose mail, it's gone, no backup at all.

Raid (I understand) doesn't give you raw massive data, it gives you
reliability at the cost of dollars and some lost capacity.  CCD gives you
the capacity completely, disk for disk, but doesn't allow the neat
reliability features of a RAID box.  If you're shooing for raw capacity,
this doesn't seem to make sense.  What am I missing?

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |