Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 11:57:50 -0400
From:      Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
To:        "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: technical comparison

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 09:03:37AM -0400, Andresen,Jason R. wrote:

> The scary thing is that it was the attached harddrive that lost all of the
> files.  The situitation is this:
[snip]

Sorry to hear that, but like I said, it isn't typical. ext2 in it's
early days, an ext before that were really bad. But I have few problems
with it these days. I've lost more ufs filesystems than I have ext2, but
I don't assume my results are typical: I know ufs is better. However,
ext2's problems are grossly exaggerated.

> It's entirely possible that there is something I could have done to
> prevent fsck from clearing out the filesystem, but it certainly isn't
> obvious from the manual, and I've never seen a FreeBSD system do that.

Nothing much you can do unless you happen to know ext2 inside and out,
and fix it manually.

It's not normal for ext2 to die like that, and be unable to recover.

Over the years I have had more bizarre, inexplicable OS problems on
Intel PCs than any other.

> Also, for anybody who says the pull the power test isn't realistic, I can
> assure you that power failures DO happen (probably less in your area than

My point was that yanking power only tests one aspect of the filesystem.
Chosing one based on passing or not passing that test isn't a good idea.

> mine (I hope!)) and not planning for them only brings disaster later when
> you have a room with 1000 servers lose power.

Well, a UPS system is as important in any system you care about as the
computers and operating systems. If you run 1000 servers and they can
lose power, you're on borrowed time anyway.

Where I live, the power gets worse every year. I lost quite a few ext
filesystems, but only a couple of ufs and ext2 filesystems. Then I
bought a 1920VA UPS and it's no longer an issue. I just found it easier
to not lose power than to worry about which filesystem recovers from it
better.

--
"There are nowadays professors of philosophy, but not philosophers."