Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 1995 16:36:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        fenner@parc.xerox.com (Bill Fenner)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel versions and config's rm -rf

> The other solution that I was considering was reading the number out of
> the "version" file before the "rm -rf" and then writing it out again
> afterwards.  I'll write that instead, if it would make you more comfortable.

Yes, please.  This keeps the breakage in the dependency graph (which
will hopefully some day be fixed) sperate from the config, which
removes far more than it really has too, but does so because the
dependecy graph breakage is hidden from it.

I'm wondering at the existance of compile time optioning in the first
place.  Really, it exists because the device driver and other subsystems
don't have explicit registration mechanisms that don't depend on static
data.

Proper use of the SYSINIT() mechanism is 50% of the answer, and the
devfs work Julian is currently doing is another 20%.  Probably 30%
still remains as architecture problems in the device probe, PCI bridging,
Interrupt attach, Interrupt sharing, and manifest constant controlled
code variations, which should be sysconfig items.

Still a lot of work.

Config at that point will need to put together a Makefile, and potentially
reference existing third parth object modules for optioned devices (like
smart serial port drivers for which source is not available, etc.).  So
evenetually, the config we know should go away; at the very least, the
generated header files with device and pseudo-device count definitions
should die, die, die.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---