Date:      22 Aug 1999 18:22:23 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bizarre effect reading old tape

Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:

> Put it in variable mode and see what happens- I suspect that the 'fake'
> variable that some QIC drives have might be at fault.

Okay, now that I've managed to change block sizes without booting new
kernels, here are the results:

fixed/512       the tape is read correctly
fixed/1024      the tape is read with interspersed null blocks
variable        the tape isn't read at all

Specifically, in variable mode I get a SCSI error again. tar and dd
abort with "/dev/nrsa0: Invalid argument", so I assume sa(4) has
propagated EINVAL back to the read(2) call.

I have a kernel with CAMDEBUG running now. If somebody tells me just
what debugging output to enable and report, I'll happily post the
results.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de