Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 07:49:11 -0500
From:      Greg Panula <greg.panula@dolaninformation.com>
To:        Sten Daniel =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8rsdal?= <sten@wan.no>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW/dummynet/ppp bw device question

"Sten Daniel S=F8rsdal" wrote:
> =

> Hello
> =

>   I took a look at the documentation for IPFW and under the dummnet
>   section it is mentioned that the 'bw' parameter can be given a
>   device for use with ppp(8), however i have failed finding any
>   information on this. What i am looking into is to setup pipes for
>   each dial-in user (for QoS/shaping).
>   And I was kind of hoping this was something i could control in ppp
>   without having to reinsert new rules every time a user logged in.
> =

>   Anyone ever used this feature or know anything about it?
> =

Awww, dial-up is such low bandwidth why bother further limiting the
user's available bandwidth? ;)

You could do general shaping for specific services(e.g. http) by using
pipes on the lan attached nic.  Something like:
ipfw add 1000 pipe 80 tcp from <ppp network> to any 80 out via <lan nic>

For individual ppp users/connections the options are probably(I haven't
done any of this):
1) assign general traffic shaping pipe to ppp interfaces by specifying
the interface with the firewall rule (e.g. ipfw add 1000 pipe 100 ip
from any to any via ppp0)
2) assign static addresses to the users and adjust rules as needed
3) dynamically add&remove rules... I'll guess as part of ppplogin script

I'm not sure there is much value in applying traffic shaping rules/pipes
to individual ppp interfaces.  The total available bandwidth for each
ppp connection is pretty low and it is already dedicated to just that
one user anyways.

Good luck,
  Greg