Date:      Thu, 17 Nov 2011 09:41:22 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        jerry@seibercom.net
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating Bash

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:04:47PM -0500, Jerry wrote:
> I understand that there seems to be some reluctance to updating the
> "shells/bash" port until after the release of FreeBSD-9.0 at some
> future date. I am not sure I understand the reasoning behind this
> logic. If there is a problem with the newer version of Bash, currently
> 4.1.11 in ports with version 4.2.x currently available and the soon to
> be released version of 4.3 on the horizon; wouldn't it make more sense
> to find out if there is in fact a problem with this shell version prior
> to the release of FreeBSD-9.0?

No, I do not think it would not make more sense.

I really do not fully follow your argument.

FreeBSD 9.0 is now in the Release Candidate stage.  That means release
is imminent.  How long do you think it would take to determine if version
4.2 was suitable for burning on the 9.0-RELEASE DVD?  If the community
does not find any issues with 4.2 (either due to the code itself, or
interactions with dependency ports and how we build things in /usr/ports)
within say... 5 days -- does that really mean major problems won't be
discovered in 10 days?  Or the day after the 9.0-RELEASE ISO images are
posted?

To better help me understand your point of view, can you explain your
immediate need for version 4.2 vs. 4.1.11?  What feature or bug fix
have you identified as majorly affecting you?

> Bash is a commonly used shell and I cannot see what the goal of
          ^^^^^^^^^^
	  an extremely

> abstaining from updating it now is? It would certainly seem that if
> waiting for FBSD-9.0's release and subsequently finding out that the
> newer version of Bash fails would compound fixing the problem.

What problem would be compounded?  And how would it be compounded?

If the Bash using community truly wants version 4.2 in FreeBSD
9.0-RELEASE I am willing to do the upgrade now -- but there needs
to be a super majority calling for its upgrade.
[Or a directive from Portsmgr]

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)