Date:      Mon, 09 Dec 2002 10:45:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      gagman@canada.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DMA check causes fatal trap exception in FreeBSD 4.7 installation

I have a Pentium 533 MHz machine with 2 hard drives
(10GB and 2GB).  Both drives are manufactured by
Fujitsu.  The Bios detects that the first drive uses
UDMA 4 and the second drive uses UDMA 2.  When I run
hdparm tests on the drives with DMA turned on, my whole
system freezes up but the tests run fine on the second
drive.  In addition, hdparm -i doesn't list UDMA-4 as
one of the DMA modes for the first drive.  Now that I
have given you the scenario, I would like to ask you
how can I disable the DMA check during FreeBSD
installation as it seems to be causing a fatal trap
exception during the DMA check?

Thanks,