Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 02:53:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Christopher Smith <csmith@its.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: High interrupt load on firewalls

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Christopher Smith wrote:

> No, we use IPFilter (and that definitely isn't going to change any time
> soon).

Oh.  Hm, maybe IPFilter 4.0 will be faster.  <looks around for darren>

What you might consider doing is profiling the kernel on your test system
to see where the majority of the cpu time is going.

> The rule processing can't be done on the other CPU, can it ?  Am I right in
> saying that at this point in time, buying a dual CPU (vs single CPU) machine
> for firewalling with FreeBSD is just a waste of money ?

Even if it could be done, I doubt that would be the most cost effectively
solution to the problem.  Try out different NICs, then move on to kernel
profiling if it's still a problem.

Luigi can probably comment more on this, but one thing which comes to mind
is that the if_ti driver might not be updated to use the new m_getcl
function Luigi added.  Luigi claimed a 10% increase in forwarding speed
for drivers using it, I believe. :)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack