Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 2013 21:55:16 +0200
From:      Martin Matuska <mm@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Zeus Panchenko <zeus@ibs.dn.ua>
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: what is the "correct" way to "replicate" mem stick with ZFS on it?

Hi Zeus,

you can use dd, if the target stick has the same (or larger) size but
you have to export the pool first.

Other option is to create a ZFS mirror of both sticks, resilver it and
then use the "zpool split" subcommand. If you do it this way, the new
pool will require a different name, so you have to rename it by
reimporting it under the original name (after exporting the original pool).

A third working but not that nice way is to create a ZFS mirror,
resilver it and export it. Then you may physically separate the devices
and load the second one on the other system. Remember, it will always be
loaded as a mirror with one missing device, so you have to detach the
missing device later.

Cheers,
mm