Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 14:21:51 -0000
From:      "Cliff Rowley" <dozprompt@onsea.com>
To:        "death" <death@southcom.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DFE-530TX NIC - fast receive, slow send

> I'm not. :P My DFE-530TX in windows to my friends Intel PRO/100+
> Management
> adapter in windows gets 2.5MB/s. Pretty lousy for 100Mbps - but there's
> something strange going on with his cards, the most he can get to FreeBSD
> is 1.8MB/s.

What is the average between two 100MB cards?

> Not saying that it's necessarilly a FreeBSD problem. It could be Windows'
> fault. And it might not be due to drivers either. Guess one way
> to tell is
> to get both machines running FreeBSD, or both running Windows. I
> might try
> that real soon when i get the time.

I'm planning on removing my BeOS installation in favour of another FreeBSD
installation so that I can test FreeBSD -> FreeBSD.  This machine has a
FA310TX, which will use the pn driver.  If I dont have much luck, I think I
may hack away at the driver and see what can be done.  (If the author of
pn/mx is looking... HELP!)

> I only got my cards a few days ago. :P I'm not in a position to switch
> quite yet.. I'm pretty broke too. ;P

So did I, I've swapped cards 3 times in 4 days.  Take a look around the
"cheap" places - the au equiv of www.cheapbytes.com or something - I'm
pretty sure you'll find something...  I have the same problem as you with
cheapbytes itself, as I am in the UK :)

Cliff