Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 2004 04:21:09 -0700
From:      "Darren Pilgrim" <dmp@bitfreak.org>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to install a custom built world+kernel to a machine with no OS?

I have a number of machines onto which I want to install a custom-built
world, kernel and set of packages, all of which have been built on =
another
machine.  The target machines presently have no OS on them and can only =
be
booted by CD. =20

Installing a minimal FreeBSD and then mounting /usr/src and /usr/obj via =
NFS
isn't attractive because of the extra work and uncertainty involved with
removing and changing files left over from the initial install.  I tried
using discs 1 and 2 from a FreeBSDMall CD set to run =
install{world,kernel}
directly, but they don't seem to have the necessary bits.  The ports =
system
has the "package" make target.  I couldn't, however, find a make target =
turn a built world and kernel into the distribution chunks sysinstall =
can
use to do a binary install.

The solutions I've come up with so far are:

- Create a custom CD that contains the necessary bits to partition, =
label,
newfs, and run installworld/installkernel.
- Do my own release engineering.
- Some third option I haven't thought of yet.

What do I need to us to accomplish the above?