Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 21:27:13 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>, sprice@hiwaay.net (Steve Price), smp@csn.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world time???/

> I do a make world in about 75 minutes -- I just didn't do profiled libraries.

Argh.  If we're going to compare worldstone numbers, we've really
got to converge on some standard for what consititutes a proper
one. ;-)  In my own benchmarks, I always do a completely "standard"
build with only one exception, which is to add CFLAGS=-O -pipe
to /etc/make.conf (oh yeah, /usr also mounted async).  Other
folks stripe /usr/obj or mount it noatime or do any number
of other things (like NOPROFILE) which can only skew the numbers
when comparing them.  Maybe the first step would be to agree
upon a script for launching the world build which sets various
environment variables consistently?  Then we'd at least be
down to just the I/O trickieries as variants.

I've definitely noticed, with my dual P6/233 (and yes Virginia,
it is possible to overclock a P6/180 to a P6/233 if you have
good fans and some luck :), that things are primarily *I/O*
bound, not CPU bound, with my single IBM DCAS 4.3 GB drive
(these are 5400 RPM and not quite speed demons).  On a
machine with /usr/src and /usr/obj mounted on a 5 drive
(Quantum 2GB) CCD array, I can shave as much as 40 minutes
off the world build just on a uniprocessor P6/200, which
is definitely food for thought.

					Jordan