Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 1997 19:14:17 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Sergei Barbarash <sgt@deltathree.com>
Cc:        Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CD recognition

On Tue, 5 Aug 1997, Sergei Barbarash wrote:

> > Hmm, the configuration file looks good to me, at least I cannot see
> > any bug in it.  Which release of FreeBSD are you running? Did you try
> > to connect the CD as slave on the primary IDE-controller? If connected
> > to the primary controller it should be supported and recognized by the
> > GENERIC kernel.
>
> > Whats the brand of your CD drive?
>
> > Sorry to ask more questions than giving answers, but that's all I can
> > do for now.
>
> I'm running 2.2.2-RELEASE
> It is Reveal IDE CDROM
> The problem is that I do not want to connect it to primary IDE because as far
> as I know this will make my HD 16-bit.

At least my workstation argues otherwise. Here is my dmesg output:

wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 flags 0x800080ff on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <WDC AC31600H>, 32-bit, multi-block-16
wd0: 1549MB (3173184 sectors), 3148 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc0: unit 1 (atapi): <CREATIVE CD821E/1.05>, removable, dma, iordis
wcd0: 0Kb/sec, 240Kb cache, audio play, 255 volume levels, ejectable tray
wcd0: no disc inside, unlocked

As you see, I have a disk in 32-bit mode and a CD on the primary channel.
BTW, I noticed you used wcd1 in your config file. It should be wcd0
(though I'm not sure it matters). Maybe you ought to give it a try.

> There is one more question:
> Does FreeBSD support a CDROM that is connected to SB16's controller?

Not if it's ATAPI, only proprietary devices.

> Thanks for your help,
> -- Sergei

Nadav