Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:22:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   XDR porting problems

in RELENG_4, /usr/src/include/rpc/xdr.h, there is...

#ifdef _KERNEL
typedef bool_t (*xdrproc_t) __P((XDR *, void *, u_int));
#else
/*
 * XXX can't actually prototype it, because some take two args!!!
 */
typedef bool_t (*xdrproc_t) __P((/* XDR *, void *, u_int */));
#endif

This causes heartburn for a program I'm trying to port. Specifically,
compiling a .cxx says that I am using too many arguments.

Changing the 2nd typedef to

typedef bool_t (*xdrproc_t) __P((XDR *, void *, ...));

fixes this. I am not enough of a language pedant to understand all
possible ramifications of this change. Can anyone suggest any
alternatives? I dug around quite a bit and could find no way
to compile the code in question without changing the system include
files. If this is the right thing to do, I would like to commit it.
If there is a better thing to do, I'd like to hear about it.